Inquiry Group Formed - 08.10.2011
The New York Hall of Science has organized an Inquiry Group to support COSEE OCEAN, modeled after the Inquiry Groups developed by the Center for Advancement of Informal Science Education ( http://www.insci.org ). This inquiry group will meet electronically during years 2 and 3 of COSEE OCEAN, with an in-person meeting in year 3. It will issue and disseminate its report through multiple channels during the third year of COSEE OCEAN.
Ten ocean science educators and informal science leaders will serve on the COSEE OCEAN Inquiry Group. The IG will review COSEE OCEAN-identified education materials and other resources, examine current dissemination activities by COSEE centers across the nation, and recommend ways to improve dissemination to the informal science education field. The goal of COSEE OCEAN and the IG is to explore the opportunities and barriers to producing an ocean literate society, one that is able to participate in informed decision-making on ocean policy.
Members of the group are:
- Lisa Craig Brisson, Consultant
- Paul Boyle, Association of Zoos and Aquariums
- Vince Breslin, Southern Connecticut State University
- Johnny Frasier, Institute for Learning Innovation (formerly with the Wildlife Conservation Society)
- Alan Friedman, New York Hall of Science/Consultant
- Katie Gardner, Liberty Science Center
- Sarah Schoedinger, NOAA
- Jerry Schubel, Aquarium of the Pacific
- Steve Uzzo, New York Hall of Science
- Steve Yalowitz, Institute for Learning Innovation (formerly with the Monterey Bay Aquarium)
Lisa Brisson has agreed to serve as coordinator of the group, and is in the process of setting the first telephone conference meeting of the group.
Return to News Archive